4.12.14

BOOK REVIEW: The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan

Rosie Hopkins, newly engaged, is looking forward to an exciting year in the little sweetshop she owns and runs. But when fate strikes Rosie and her boyfriend, Stephen, a terrible blow, threatening everything they hold dear; it's going to take all their strength and the support of their families and friends to hold them together... After all, don't they say it takes a village to raise a child?

Publisher: Sphere
Pages: 383 

I have read the other two Rosie Hopkins books by Jenny Colgan so I was chuffed when I realised that Jenny's latest festive read was all about Rosie too. Don't worry if you've not read the others (I would highly recommend them) as the first chapter summarises everything you need to know.
Rosie and Stephen are still living in the beautiful village of Lipton, Rosie running her Aunt Lillian's sweetshop and Stephen teaching at the local school. They are just beginning to plan their wedding when their world is turned upside down. Rosie and Stephen's future becomes very uncertain when they realise they need to move from Lillian's beautiful cottage. Stephen's mother, Lady Lipton is still as frosty and his sister is also back on the scene from New York and after her inheritance. Things seem bleak for the couple and Christmas is just round the corner, they are both thinking it will be their last in the village that has been their home and sanctuary.
Jenny Colgan writes such enjoyable books, I purposely read this to get myself in the festive spirit and it certainly did the trick. Rosie and Stephen are both fantastic characters, I was rooting for them to sort their problems out. The book is warm and very funny but Jenny Colgan does not shy away from the real issues so you get a bit of everything on this book.
I think that Christmas books are very difficult to get right, they do need to have a lot of sentiment whilst avoiding being twee. Jenny Colgan gets the balance just right and I would highly recommend The Christmas Surprise as part of your festive reading or perhaps to give as a gift.

Many thanks to Victoria at Sphere for sending me a copy of The Christmas Surprise to review. 

No comments:

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...