25.5.12

Recipe Book Review: Nigella Express

I am a MASSIVE Nigella Lawson fan so I thought that I would start this new feature with one of my favourite recipe books, Nigella Express. I have all of Nigella's books but I probably use this one once a week and my copy is well thumbed.
Nigella Express is so accessible, I always cook a fresh meal every night and this book has provided us with many gorgeous weekday dinners. My husband and I both work so we don't want to be cooking for hours of an evening but we both enjoy fresh, wholesome food. Nearly all of the recipes in this book are just one page long with easily found ingredients. I also love how Nigella makes recommendations as to what you can do with any leftovers.
Nigella Express is split into thirteen sections ranging from Instant Calmer, Against the Clock and Workday Winners. There are some sections that are a little more specific; there's a whole chapter on speedy Mexican food and a whole chapter on Christmas, both have some great ideas.
Some of my favourite recipes from this book are the Chicken, Mushroom and Bacon Pie (page 175), this is perfect in the Winter and includes garam masala in the sauce so it's really tasty. My husband also loves the Pollo alla Cacciatora which is known as Nigella Chicken in our house. It is like an Italian chicken stew, really filling and perfect served with big pieces of crusty bread. Nigella also includes a gorgeous recipe for Chocolate Pear Pudding; I have lost count how many times I have made this as people always love it and it is incredibly easy.
The pictures in this book are very clear and most are full page; I prefer this as I think it gives you confidence when cooking to have a good picture of the finished product. Nigella also make useful suggestions for alternative ingredients but I have never been unable to get something for her recipes.
As I said, my copy of Nigella Express is extremely well thumbed but I still find new things that I want to try when I look through it. Next on my list are the chocolate macaroons and the black pasta with red mullet which looks delicious.
If you are looking for an accessible book that you can cook from in the week then Nigella Express is perfect. She does have some dishes that take longer and are more suited to a special occasion but in the main I know that I can always rely on this book for tasty weekday dinners.

Dot Scribbles Rating 5/5

7 comments:

Nadia said...

I love Nigella, too! I watch her cooking show all the time! I'll definitely be getting this cook book as it sounds like it has loads of good recipes in it and since I've been wanting to get one of her books, but wasn't sure which one to start with. I had a roommate when I was at Lancaster Uni and she had Domestic Goddess and would always bake fairy cakes from that one - they were yum! Plus, I love how Nigella seems like she actually enjoys cooking and eating the food - makes her seem more authentic as a chef for some reason - LOL! Great post, Dot!

jessicabookworm said...

Sounds like a must have book for all food lovers. I love to cook but as you said sometimes you just don't have hours to spare to slave in the kitchen. Will definitely be making a note of this one. Love the new feature Dot!

Dot said...

Nadia- Thank you, I hope that you enjoy what you make from it!

Dot said...

jessicabookworm- thank you, I'm glad people like the new feature.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

OK, I'm hungry now! :)

Dot said...

Nikki-ann- Nigella always makes me hungry!

Dot said...

Nikki-ann- Nigella always makes me hungry!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...