6.9.11

Book Review: Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...
When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life- and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face. 
The police, Beatrice's fiance and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost. 
I bought this book last year but I have only just got round to reading it. I really wish I hadn't waited so long as it was brilliant. Rosamund Lupton has written a very clever mystery but I felt that it was much more than that as she explores the special bond between sisters, in this case Beatrice and Tess.
Beatrice received a call from her mother saying that Tess is missing. Although there are five years between them plus the Atlantic ocean, they are incredibly close and Beatrice gets on the plane home. As the search begins for the truth behind Tess's disappearance, Beatrice feels as though those around her are giving up on her sister and making her out to be a completely different person. Beatrice does learn some shocking truths about her sister but she still believes that there is something more sinister to her disappearance. Beatrice feels that she owes it to her sister to reveal the truth even if it means putting herself in danger. What if someone thinks Beatrice  is asking too many questions and wants her to disappear just like Tess?
Rosamund Lupton  has an excellent writing style. she maintains tension throughout the book and I loved the many twists that the plot took towards the end. This book reminded me a little of After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell in the way in which it explored human relationships. I have an older sister and I found Beatrice and Tess's relationship entirely believable. I empathised with Beatrice's desperation, although she initially has no evidence she does not give up on Tess as she had complete faith in how well she knew her sister.
This book did not take me long to read at all, Lupton constantly leaves you wanting more and I couldn't help but start a new chapter again and again. If you are looking for a tense thriller with a little more depth then look no further, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dot Scribbles rating 5/5

3 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I kept telling everyone it was good! Now you need to read Afterwards!

Emma said...

I've been umming and ahhing over this book for a while. You've just tipped me to get it. :)

Dot said...

Vivienne- was just looking at that one on Amazon- looks really good!

Emma- I hope that you enjoy it!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...