10.9.10

New to Dot Scribbles Shelves

The books that have arrived on my shelves recently have been a little bit older, they are 3 books that for one reason or other I didn't get round to reading when they were new and sparkly! So here they are, let me know if you have read any of them and what you thought:

26a by Diana Evans (Vintage) Identical twins Georgia and Bessi live in the loft of 26 Waifer Avenue. It is a place of beanbags, nectarines and secrets, and visitors must always knock before entering. Down below there is not such harmony. Their Nigerian mother puts cayenne pepper on her Yorkshire pudding and has mysterious ways of dealing with homesickness; their father angrily roams the streets of Neasden, prey to the demons of his Derbyshire upbringing. Forced to create their own identities, the Hunter children build a separate universe. Older sister Bel discovers sex, high heels and organic hairdressing, the twins prepare for a flapjack empire, and baby sister Kenny learns to moonwalk for Michael Jackson. It is when reality comes knocking that the fantasies of childhood start to give way. How will Georgia and Bessi cope in a world of separateness and solitude, and which of them will be stronger?

Alphabet Weekends by Elizabeth Noble (Hodder) A is for affection- between childhood best friends; between their parents; between brothers and sisters. B is for brokenhearted- Natalie when the boyfriend who was meant to propose dumps her just before Christmas. Her mother when she realises what her life has come to. Lucy as she thinks of one relationship and maybe beginning another. C is for Chemistry- could Natalie and Tom have it (and what does it actually mean anyway)?

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (Headline) Edinburgh in the 1930s. The Lennox family is having trouble with its youngest daughter. Esme is outspoken, unconventional and repeatedly embarrasses them in polite society. Something will have to be done. Years later, a young woman named Iris Lockhart receives a letter informing her that she has a great-aunt in a psychiatric unit who is about to be released. Iris has never heard of Esme Lennox and the one person who should know more, her grandmother Kitty, seems unable to answer Iris's questions. What could Esme have done to warrant a lifetime in an institution? And how is it possible for a person to be so completely erased form a family's history?

18 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Lovely! Maggie O'Farrell's novel sounds very intriguing.

Charlie said...

Especially interested in the O'Farrell! I've been caught by that era recently so I'll keep a look out.

Dot said...

Irena- It does doesn't it and I have read very mixed reviews so fingers crossed.

Charlie- It's a lovely era isn't it, I love Maggie O'Farrells writing so I'm looking forward to this one!

Carol said...

Loved The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. A Great Read.

Alphabet weekends must go on my wishlist!

enjoy ur weekend!

carol

Anonymous said...

I did not know about Alphabet Weekends from Elizabeth Noble. Might have to go on my wish list as well.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

I've been wanting to get Alphabet Weekends since the cover is so pretty and I love the sound of Esme! Can't wait for your reviews! :)

Karen said...

The Vanishing Act is one of my fave O'Farrell novels - hope you enjoy!

Nicola said...

Hi, I'm a lurker making my first comment. I've read all three of these books. I didn't like the Diana Evans that much, although I have got her new one to try.

I loved the other two books. Alphabet Weekends is a lovely read, and Esme Lennox is very moving.

Anonymous said...

Alphabet Weekends is now not on my wish list but on my shelf! After a visit to the charity shop!

Jenni said...

I am very intrigued by 26a. I will have to look into that author. Thanks for sharing!

Dot said...

Dizzy C- Thank you, that's great about the Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, really looking forward to it!

josbookjourney- Brilliant, I shall look out for your review!

Bookalicious Ramblings- Thank you, it's a lovely cover isn't it!

Karen- That's good to hear, I have enjoyed all of her other books.

Nicola- I have just finished 26a and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it that much, bit disappointing!

Jenni- you're welcome, as I said above to Nicola, I finished it over the weekend and I didn't enjoy it that much to be honest which was a shame!

Dot said...

Dizzy C- Thank you, that's great about the Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, really looking forward to it!

josbookjourney- Brilliant, I shall look out for your review!

Bookalicious Ramblings- Thank you, it's a lovely cover isn't it!

Karen- That's good to hear, I have enjoyed all of her other books.

Nicola- I have just finished 26a and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it that much, bit disappointing!

Jenni- you're welcome, as I said above to Nicola, I finished it over the weekend and I didn't enjoy it that much to be honest which was a shame!

Amy said...

26A sounds fantastic! It is going on my wishlist immediately!

Simon (Savidge Reads) said...

I have 26a which Polly of Novel Insights bought me and I still havent gotten around to reading it. I loved The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, cannot wait to see your thoughts on that one.

Dot said...

Amy- I hope that you enjoy it, I finished it a few days ago and I have to admit that I struggled with it but then I have read some very positive reviews.

Simon- I didn't really enjoy 26a which was a shame, looking forward to the Maggie O'Farrell one, I have enjoyed her other books so much!

The Book Whsiperer said...

I adored The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, Dot. I hope you enjoy!

I read Pictures of Lily on holiday too - I really like Paige Toon's books. What do you think so far?

Dot said...

The Book Whisperer- I am loving ti so far, I think I shall definitely be getting her other books!

Dot said...

The Book Whisperer- I am loving ti so far, I think I shall definitely be getting her other books!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...