14.9.10

Book Review: Single in the City by Michele Gorman

It's official. Hannah has left her friends and family in the US behind and is following her dream. To live in London. Hannah's looking for:
1. Her dream guy. A prince or Hugh Grant would be  nice. Or does she have to settle for her half-naked Australian house mate or an 'English Gentleman' with terrible hygeine habits?
2. Her dream job. Something fantastic in fashion. So how's she ended up being the mini-me for an evil party-planner who doesn't even trust her to arrange the paper-clips?
3. Her dream friends. But everyone in London seems to have known each other for years and Hannah doesn't know the rules of engagement. Who's she going to have fun with?
Dream life? Should Hannah just dream on? She wanted a big change but maybe it would have been simpler and cheaper just to get a new haircut. Was she mad to move 3,000 miles away from everyone she knows? Will she ever find love and her perfect life in England?
Single in the City by Michele Gorman is a lot of fun! It is not an overly long book but there is so much packed into it, you don't want to put it down.
Hannah is a fantastic character, when she sets her heart on something, she completely goes for it, be that  a new job, new boyfriend or even new shoes. I loved seeing England and London in particular through Hannah's American eyes. We have so many funny little ways that we don't think twice about but it is very entertaining to see how strange some of them must be to others.
Michele Gorman's writing is extremely witty, Hannah ends up in so many comical situations, either whilst trying to please her evil boss or on yet another disastorous date. It's been a while since a book has made me laugh out loud on so many occassions.
Single in the City is  great book, I'm not sure if the author is planning on writing a sequel but Hannah is the kind of character who could have many more adventures.

You can follow Michele on Twitter @expatdiaries or contact her through www.michelegorman.co.uk 

12 comments:

verity said...

I read this quite recently; very entertaining!

Dot said...

Verity- Glad you enjoyed it too! Hope you had a lovely holiday!

Carol said...

the wishlist has just grown.
When I started reading your review, I too thought it would be interesting to see London thru the American writer's view.

thanks for the review

carol

Dot said...

Carol- he he, your list is getting longer! I really enjoyed this one!

The Book Whisperer said...

Great review, Dot. I have a copy of this to read too - must get round to it soon.

Rowena said...

This book has been put on my TBB list, it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the review!

Dot said...

The Book Whisperer- That's good, hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Rowena- You're welcome, hope you enjoy it!

Carol said...

I have an award for u on my blog ! :)

Chloe said...

I quite liked this one too! Great review x

ExpatDiaries said...

Hi, Dot thanks so much for reading Single in the City - so glad you enjoyed it! And yes, there's a sequel in the works :-) Michele x

Meg @ write meg! said...

Any book about an American character following her heart to London immediately goes on my wishlist -- thanks! :)

Dot said...

Meg- I think you would really enjoy this one!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...