21.9.10

Book Review: Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon

Ten years ago when Lily was just sixteen, she fell in love with someone she really shouldn't have fallen in love with. Now, living in Sydney and engaged to another man, she can't forget the one that got away. Then her past comes back to haunt her, and she has to make a decision that will break her heart- and the heart of at least one of the men who love her. 
Pictures of Lily is the first Paige Toon book that I have read and I think they should come with a warning on the front explaining that you will not be able to put it down.
Richard has just proposed to Lily, they have been together for several years but Richard has no idea that Lily's heart has belonged to another man since she was 15 years old. Lily has never been able to forget Ben who was much older than her when she fell in love with him during her first summer in Australia. Ben left for England though and even though Lily has tried to move on with her life, Ben has been in her thoughts every single day. So when Ben arrives back in Australia, she has a heartbreaking decision to make, what do you do when you love two men?
The cover of this book is gorgeous but I don't think think it gives any hint of the emotional roller coaster that takes place in this book. Paige Toon has written such a good story,I just wanted to give Lily a big hug when she has to decide between Ben and Richard. 
I'm not sure if I would describe this book as chick-lit as I don't think it is necessarily light-hearted enough to be described as that. What I do know is that I have found another great author in Paige Toon who's other books I shall be catching up with as soon as possible. 

9 comments:

The Book Whisperer said...

Hurray, you loved it too! It's a great book isn't it? I read it on holiday and it was just what I needed on the sunlounger. I adored Ben, did you?

Dot said...

The Book Whisperer- I loved it, I want to read all her other books now! Ben was definitely my favourite, I was willing them to get together!

Anonymous said...

Heh, the cover is what makes me want to read this book. And emotional rollercoaster? I feel like reading a book like that every now and then..

Dot said...

irisonbooks- It's a really good read!

PaulieA said...

sounds pretty girly, but fair do's.

The title caught my eye though, do you think Paige Toon knew what the Who song 'Pictures of Lily' was about? Just seems a strange title for a book really...

Anonymous said...

Since I have visited your blog and think it is lovely, really informed and interesting, so I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award.

Please visit www.josbookjourney.wordpress.com to find out all about it.

If you have recently received this award, please still feel free to comment on my blog.

Dot said...

PaulieA- It is a little girly!

josbookjourney- Thanks Jo!

One More Page said...

Pleased you like this one - I really enjoyed it too. You will love the others as well I'm sure :D Can't wait for her next one to come out.

Dot said...

One More Page- It is probably one of the books that I have enjoyed most this year!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...