20.8.09

Review: A Spring Affair by Milly Johnson


How on earth did fiesty, fun-loving Lou Casserly become the ultimate 'surrended wife'? Long gone is the outrageous girl who once dreamed up wild plans with her best friend Deb. Now Lou is a lonely, picked on woman who no longer realises when she is being taken advantage of- whether by her never satisfied mother or unfaithful husband Phil.
Then one day, she picks up a dog-eared magazine and spots an article about clearing clutter, little realising how it will change her life. What begins as an earnest spring clean soon spirals out of control. The more Lou lets go of, the more light and air can get to those painful, closed up places at the centre of her heart. When she meets hunky, local man Tom Broom, she sees her philandering husband in a very different light. But, even with Tom's help, can Lou Winter manage to put the spring back into her step? And who knows where her new found zest for the stripped-back life will take her next?

This is the first book by Milly Johnson that I have read, somehow I missed her first book, The Yorkshire Pudding Club. I loved how she offers you little snippets of information along the way, you keep turning the pages in order to get more. The character of Lou Winter was extremely well created; we meet the down-trodden Lou who has been with Phil for far too long and lost who she truly is. As the story progresses we start to see the real Lou shine through as she begins to take control of her life again.
I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it! It was the perfect book to ease me into my holiday!

9 comments:

Novelicious said...

So glad you liked this, as you know I did too! How sexy was Tom Broom?! :D x

Dot said...

Novelicious- I know! Perfect chick lit hero!! If only all skip delivery men were like that!

verity said...

That sounds like a good one; I don't think I've read any MJ, although I wanted to read The yorkshire pudding club.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Haven't read anything by the author yet, but I'm tempted to - plus the cover is WONDERFUL!

Dot said...

Verity- I missed The Yorkshire Pudding Club too but I'm going to try and get hold of a copy as I really enjoyed this one!

bookalicious- I would definitley give her a go, the cover is lovely isn't it!

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Just wondering, how old is the main character?

Dot said...

bookalicious- I haven't got the book to hand so can't check but if I remember rightly she is very early 30's!

Anonymous said...

I loved this one too :)

Dot said...

chicklitreviews- I really enjoyed it, made me want to have a spring clean though which is very unlike me!

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...