Thought that I would do a little meme today to warm those brain cells up!
1. If you could host a dinner party with 5 literary characters, who would they be and why?
- Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice- I would want to know what Mr Darcy is really like and I think that she would be quite opinionated on most things!
- Precious Ramotswe from The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency- I love her character and she would hopefully bring us all some Bush tea.
- Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre- I would be quite happy just to sit and watch him brooding all night!
- Bridget Jones- I know this is probably a bit predictable but I think we would get on very, very well!
- Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind- I think that she would be a very entertaining dinner guest, plus I could ask her to tell me the story and then I wouldn't feel so bad about not finishing the book!
Hmmmm I don't think that I really have just one role model from literature. I think that you like and dislike different aspects of all the characters that you come across, there is not one person that I would like to emulate.
3. Which literary house would you most like to live in?
This would definitely be Manderley for me from Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. It sounds like a beautiful house surrounded by land leading to it's own private beach yet it is steeped in mystery and secrets; it would definitely be one to go snooping around in.
4. Which literary couple would you most like for parents?
Mr and Mrs Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, I'm sure that I would soon get fed up with the neurotic mother but I think that Mr Bennet is just lovely, he wants his daughters to marry well but more importantly he wants them to marry for love.
5. Pick 3 literary characters that you would like to have as siblings?
I would pick Tony, Sean and Ned from Lisa Jewell's A Friend of the Family. I am blessed with a lovely sister but I have always wondered what it would be like to have a brother; this way I would have 3 very different ones!
6. Who is your favourite literary villain?
I would have to say Mrs Danvers from Rebecca, she is such a good villain. I just love how sinister she is, that scene where she nearly gets the new Mrs De Winter to jump from the window shows the sheer power that she has. I have also seen the Hitchcock film of this book and Mrs Danvers is brilliant in it; the way she just appears silently and appears to glide across the room as though she is inhuman!
7. Name a character that most people dislike but you do not. Why do you like them?
Snape from the Harry Potter books, I think I might have a thing about dark, brooding villains, especially when they turn out to the good guy in the end.
8. If you could go into a novel, which one would it be and why?
Oooh this is a very Lost in Austen question! There are so many that I would want to be in, Pride and Prejudice so that I could meet Mr Darcy (I do have a bit of an obsession!) and give Lydia a slap for being so annoying! Rebecca so that I could meet Maxim De Winter and wonder around Manderley. There are so many more that I could mention, that is the thing about books though, you get to imagine standing in the character's shoes and seeing life through their eyes.
After completing this meme I have discovered that I may be slightly obsessed with Rebecca and Pride and Prejudice, I promise that I have read and loved other books too!