2.4.09

Booking Through Thursday: Library Week



This weeks Booking Through Thursday was suggested by Barbara and I think it's a really good one!

I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I am very lucky in that I have a public library literally at the top of my road! It is a very old Victorian building and houses a small children's and adults library; it does not have a massive collection of books but there is usually something to be found! I think I prefer older libraries like this to be honest, I think they are cosier and more inviting. We have lived in our current house for nearly two years now but I have probably only started using the library in the last few months. As I have written on this blog before, I kept putting off going in as I had a fine from the library where we previously lived due to being very late taking my books back. However, my other half nagged me to join this new one and I am glad I did and as it is only at the top of my road, I have no excuses for books being late!

My parents always encouraged me to read and I can remember that the hairdressers that I went to when I was little was right next to the library so once my hair had been cut I would go next door and read and pick some new books whilst my Mum had her hair done.

I think we can often take libraries for granted but when you think about it they provide a marvellous service. All you need do is join and then you have access to all of those beautiful books and it is free! I know that I will definitely encourage my children to use the library so that they can discover the wonderful world of reading for themselves!

25 comments:

Robert Burdock said...

Ahhhhh the joy of having a library so close at hand! Nice one Dot and I'm glad your 'better' half did convince you to join up!

A huge 'cyber hug' to you too for harbouring this desire to encourage your children to use libraries as much as you did when you were a child. If everyone had your attitude then libraries would have no fear for their future.
Warmest
Rob

Blodeuedd said...

Lovely post :)
And yes so many don't know what they are missing, I am very glad I found out that I love libraries.

Melody said...

I wish I'm staying near to a library! Talk about convenience and don't have to pay fines for late books! LOL.

I'm buying more books nowadays, thanks to my wonderful bookbloggers friends! But I'll definitely visit the library one day, but this time I'll bring along my 5-yr-old daughter. :)

Dot said...

Rob- Ah thank you, after I got over the embarrassment of paying the large fine, I was very glad that I had joined!

Blodeuedd- Thank you! It is a shame that some people miss out on them! All those books to choose from!

Dot said...

Melody- I think libraries are a great way to get children into reading. I was always really excited that I could choose my own books and discover what I enjoyed reading.

Julia said...

WOW - to live so close near the library, now *that* is a blessed thing! I wish I live near by mine!

My parent always try to encourage me to read too, because they want me to learn Enlish word too. But they wasn't into taking me to the public library when I was little. So I rely on my school library for all my need, at the time.

Happy BTTs! I wish you have a good Thursday!

Maree said...

Oh, lucky you! If that were me I'd find excuses to be there nearly every day.
Happy BTT

Dot said...

Maree- I am very lucky to have it at the top of the road! Hope you're having a good Thursday!

Jo said...

My library is close too. I have to walk past every day on the school trip, and my children love it too!

Anonymous said...

Is the picture from your library? It's sooo huge, my library has only 3 of those shelf's.

I see that you are reading She's come undone. This books had been o my wishlist for so long, how are you liking it?

Dot said...

violetcrush- The picture isn't from my library but the one I go to is just a little bit smaller than that! I am really enjoying She's Come Undone but I will be honest that I wasn't gripped until about chapter 6! I have had it sitting on my shelf for ages too, I have read so many wonderful reviews of it so thought I would give it a go.

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful post. Very convenient staying so near a library!

Booking through libraries

Yvonne said...

Your library sounds really nice. I find myself at mine once a week, but for DVDs and audio books.

Kathy W said...

I have a local branch of the library right at the end of my street also. Kinda nice having it so close. Great post. =)

Dot said...

Yvonne- I've never thought to look at the dvds and audio books in my library, I will have to check them out!

Kathy! Thank you! We're very lucky really aren't we!

Beth F said...

That is so great that you can walk to your library. I'd love that.

Jess said...

That is great that you have a library so close. I am glad that I work at a library or my late fees would probably be out of control!

http://barneysbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/booking-through-thursday-42.html

Dot said...

Jess- Thanks for visiting my blog! You are very lucky to work with all those books everyday!

Anonymous said...

I would love to live within walking distance of a library. Happy BTT!

SmilingSally said...

I love libraries! One of the most important gifts my mom gave me was the love of reading, and the joy of visiting a library. You are fortunate to live close to a good one.

Melissa said...

I prefer older libraries too. Some of them have so much character.

Barbara H. said...

How wonderful to have a library so close! I prefer the older ones, too.

Savidge Reads said...

Am envious of your library being so close, mine wouldnt be far but its being renovated! Agree on older and cosier!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Libraries are simply wonderful. I'd be lost without mine. Although, I don't browse as much as I used to do in the past. I reserve my books online and pick them up. My boys love the library though and have their favorite shelves and sections!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi, I may be new to your blog but it's great fun :D

And cos of that I left you an award over at my blog

Premio

All change here!

I have made the decision to stop doing written reviews on here for a little while. I shall keep this page open but for the time being I sha...